Sunday 9 September 2012

The Mk IV Arrives

The black tube arrived, I didn't pause, one end was opened and I could see the B.James & Son logo upon an original good conditioned bag.
 I gently slid it out and proceeded to untie the black wraps.
 The first section was removed....Red button intact, cork good, transfer complete, whipping and rings in good condition.
 The top section slid out, complete and vibrant.
I had to put it together, then apart, the ferrules popped nicely.
My angling life is complete, ol' Gurn's got a goodun, and it was a bargain.


It looks to be in original, unrestored condition. A rod builder friend reckons it's the straightest Mk IV he's ever seen.
All I have to do now is resist the urge to use it before I visit it's spiritual home, Redmire Pool, in a couple of weeks.

9 comments:

  1. How fantastic: sometimes you have to trust to instinct and take a leap of faith - glad it's worked out so well. Now you have to christen it - the fabled long common would make for the perfect symmetry :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope so mate. A 3lb'er willdo for starters though,

      Delete
  2. You have a voyage of discovery set out before you now... Don't be alarmed when you feel the handle bending in your hands when turning a big'un. It's normal!

    Regular Rod

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one! Let's hope it doesn't stay straight for too long, a rod like that needs a battle scar or two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations my friend! Looking forward to seeing photo's of this beauty in action :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now i am jealous.................... i am awaiting my Aerial to come through the post, next on the list could be an Avon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I think an Aerial might be next on my list Tom. I hope yours brings many fish mate. What model are you getting? I quite fancy a Popular myself. That 'list' never ends though does it?

      Delete
  6. Great find Gurn. Looks like a beautiful rod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will be on the lookout for another one soon.

      Delete