Thursday 21 April 2011

Warm Night.

Well I've got into this little routine, you see. I do a bit of pre-baiting the night before, then fish the area with just a handful of free offerings, it gives me confidence and I can stroll down the little track laden with gear in the knowledge that I've put some effort in and any capture will have been earned.
 Oh dear though, last night, having been through this routine, imagine my horror when said swim contains a rather too grinny angler.
 Yep, you know it, the sun is shining and I look around the lake that I generally have to myself to find 1,2,3,4,5,6....SIX other anglers, my solitude is over now until probably October.
 Not only do I have to make alternative, second choice swim arrangements, but now have to contend with visitors with empty mugs in their hands and listen to the always fantastic rumours and gossip that this lake generates regularly and quickly.
 Of course, all this, is part and parcel of fishing this particular lake, a lake visited by people from all over the country and it was good to catch up with some of the old-schoolers.
  With the coming of sunshine and more pressure on the lake, pre-baiting becomes, in reality, a waste of time.
 In the past I've had people move to fish over my bait within an hour of me leaving the lake. These things you have to take on the chin, just one more of the challenges my quest for 'The Common' holds.
As well as anglers, we also now have many other park users, they are generally well behaved and leave us alone, there are the odd few that don't think the park rules apply to them or their dogs though, all good fun and more stories along those lines to come as the Summer unfolds, I'm sure.
 Also, the wildlife...just where do all them frogs come from ?? I also spotted a Mink, Then there's the bugs and what can only be described as a "mahoosive" spider in my bivvy this morning.
 The ground-dwelling creatures don't bother me that much, it's the bloody mozzie's that I hate, so the twilight feeding frenzy of the local bat population was enjoyable for more than one reason.
 I saw signs of fish movement, but nobody caught.
One thing can be said though,'It's certainly warming up'.

4 comments:

  1. At least you had a few months of solitude on your lake Gurn, your visitors will come and go quick enough.

    Enjoy the bats, they are fascinating creatures, only one of three creatures that hibernate each year in our country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do so love the furry little critters and the way they fly so close to you. It's strange, but I have had them collide with my fishing line whilst fishing on the river making the isotope crank round on many occassions, their ultrasound sense seemingly unable to detect it, I have struck a few times as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bats can be a nightmare when barbel fishing, they give a very good impression of a liner or bite! I once had one hit my line so hard that it ended up in the river. It swam well enough but I fished it out and sat it on my shoulder to dry - after a few minutes it flew of to wreak havoc amongst the fly life again.

    Pity about having to share your lake, unfortunately there's not enough pools for one each so we have to grin and bear it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well we must all put up with the local walkers ramblers , Children, Dogs and so forth, As long as they leave the wildlife alone, No more pre baiting, As for the Bats, I just love them tapping on your head and seeing how close they can get, And your right the frog population is booming, I went past a club water called Heappy one, No reoom at the in as the bivvies were up and the anglers looked as though they had taken up squaters rights,
    Good luck for the next time,
    ,,,Paddy,,,

    ReplyDelete