Wednesday 10 March 2010

Cold Cut

Photobucket
Well my friends,this "Chooseday" I only managed a couple of snatched hours on the Grand Union Canal in Buckinghamshire.
To be honest I fancied myself as a bit of a Gudgeon-Meister,however the canal had frozen at night and although it had thawed the little fellas evaded me.I know that they become localised in these conditions and I will go back in the summer when,hopefully they will throw themselves at me with abandon.
When I arrived,I was pleased to see that some traditional hedge management had been enforced and the entire hedgerow had been "layed".The job in this area was once employ of my Great Grandfather so it was nice to see some continuation.
Photobucket
It was the first time this year that I used one of my trusty Speedia reels,bought in delapidated condition and lovingly brought back to life.I have decided to make use of my three centrepins more this year.
Photobucket
The fishing wasn't great and having had no luck on the pinkie,size 20 hook combination,I decided to use a rogue single bronze maggot that had somehow managed to find it's way into my bait tin.This resulted in a small Bream(which probably felt sorry for me);of course I had no more bronzes so couldn't capitalise.
Photobucket
I did manage a small Perch before I went home and as I crossed that old bridge I recalled a cold day ,some thirty years previous at this very spot and an incident that still makes me smile...........(to be continued)
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I know this spot well, my friends used to have a Narrow boat moored here. There used to be hundreds of Swallows skimming that field opposite in the hot Summer months.

    ReplyDelete